Scoop TechLab | Samsung Galaxy Note II - Technical Specifications And Links To Resources
Samsung’s smartphone/tablet in-between
The comparatively large 138mm screen on Samsung’s Galaxy Note II is clearly aimed at those who don’t want to carry two devices. It is large enough for browsing and watching videos, though may be a bit large for some peoples’ pockets. This is Samsung’s second generation of phones with what it describes as S-Pen functionality – in which its enhanced handwriting capability enables penned notes to be sent by email.
- Android OS v4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Rear-facing 8 megapixel camera (3264 x 2448 pixels), with 1.3 front facing camera for video calling. Geotagged, face and smile detection, image stabilisation
- 16GB of internal memory
- Huge 138mm 1280 x 720 resolution AMOLED capacitive screen
- S-Pen functionality – send handwritten notes by email, ‘draw’ over photos, send memos to yourself with the S-Pen stylus
- 1.6GHz quad core processor – a fast runner
- Air View – conveniently and quickly browse your photos without having to open any folders
- Bigger screen – Corning Gorilla Glass 2, 16:9 screen ratio, better for reading
- Battery (estimated) – 16 hours talk time, 37 days standby. Standard battery Li-Ion 3100mAh
- Memory – 16GB internal, 16GB available
- Weight – 180g
- Size – 151mm high/90mm wide/9.4mm deep
- Screen – 138mm diagonal, 1280 x 720 pixels
Comment By Peter Kerr For Scoop Techlab
Whether or not the term ‘phablet’ as a term catches on remains to be seen, but a screen size point between a tablet and phone is where Samsung’s aiming with its Note II quad-core mobile.
The Note II is the South Korean-makers second to use a stylus called an S-Pen, and a handwriting recognition system to allow emails and texts on the fly. The Verge noted the handwriting program had improved “to the point of being a legitimate input option.”
The Wikipedian view of the Note II says it is one of the first quad-core computer chip phones and Samsung’s first to have Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ as standard. It means that it can really multitask, with numerous apps able to be opened at once, and several reviewers describing as “difficult to trip up.” It is the application of this sort of processing grunt, and more, that will be discussed at the open-to-everyone Multicore 2013 event in Wellington next February.
Britain’s Phone Review rated it better than Apple’s iPhone 5. It also described the Note II as being perfect for people who can’t afford a tablet and a smart phone. Here, Android Authority gives an 18 minute review, and with almost one million views a one-on-one comparison to the iPhone 5 here.
With a 5.5” high definition screen taking up most of the phone’s larger than average size, the IB Times’ Alistair Charlton reckons it will fall into the “love it or hate it” category for most people. He was surprised how quickly he got used to, after initially thinking he’d not like it, a large phone in his pocket.
Most reviewers state that Samsung’s produced an extremely capable upgrade of the Note I, and it could very well continue to create a niche in-between phones and tablets. Samsung have upped the ante.
Text review links
- The Verge - http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3464212/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-review
- IB Times - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/392953/20121010/samsung-galaxy-note-2-reviews.htm
- GSM Arena - http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-824.php
- Engadget - http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/09/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-for-t-mobile-made-official/
User opinion and reviews
- GSM Arena – spec sheet - http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-4854.php
- Tech Radar – Phil Lavelle review - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-1039199/review
- Phone Arena – general Note II page - http://www.phonearena.com/search/term/samsung%20note%20II
- Phone Arena – Daniel P review - http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-II-Review_id3134
Video review links
- The Verge – first video - http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3464212/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-review
- IB Times - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/378736/20120829/ifa-samsung-galaxy-note-2-hands-review.htm
- TechRadar – 20 reviews to check out here - http://www.techradar.com/search?searchTerm=samsung+note+II
- Android Authority – first impressions - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4XbknAy1ow